hifi engine

Belt for Sony TC-135 reel-to-reel tape recorder

Hi, I just joined this website and I'm really hoping someone here can help. I just bought an antique reel-to-reel tape recorder from a thrift shop. It's a Sony TC-135. It powers up and the motor runs, but the drive belt that goes from the motor to the flywheel is worn out and keeps slipping off. It plays for a little while, but then the belt comes off. I think I might have found where to get a replacement belt, but the problem is that I have no idea how to take the old belt off! It looks like you have to take off a bunch of parts to get to it. I've been searching online everywhere for some kind of diagram or something to explain how to change the belt, but I can't find anything. If someone here knows about this particular tape recorder, that would be a HUGE help! This is getting really frustrating. I've always been fascinated with antique electrical and mechanical things, and I've been wanting one of these old reel-to-reel tape players since I was a kid. I really want to get this one to work.

- Chris

Re: Belt for Sony TC-135 reel-to-reel tape recorder

I don't see the service information for the TC135 here on HFE. On most of those decks you need to removed the cover plate around the reel tables and head stack; you may need to remove the pinch roller, shut-off lever, head cover and other items. Once the cover is off, you may need to removed some mechanisms to get the new belt back on. Measure the old belt to determine size.

Re: Belt for Sony TC-135 reel-to-reel tape recorder

Thank you for replying. I actually FINALLY figured it out late last night. The flywheel and heads come off as one assembly. It wasn't as hard as I thought, I was just trying to take the belt off the wrong way. (Instead of trying to slip it off under the assembly, I should have taken it off from the top.) I should post a picture, I guess. I found a website where I can get a replacement belt too, so I think pretty soon I'll have this old tape recorder working right again! :D