hifi engine

Denon PMA-600 Integrated Hi-fi amplifier

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Denon PMA-600 (1978-79) beyond the spec sheet here: http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/denon/pma-600.shtml ?

I know it was the elder brother of the PMA-200 and 400 and has a higher output at 75 or 80 WPC at 8 OHMS, depending on where you look at the specs. The only contemporary materials I can find are a brochure, spec sheet and one audio magazine, all in German. I used an OCR to convert these to text and Google translate which gave me some additional info. They seem almost identical to the slightly better known PMA-701 but with additional aspects for the input sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratios (for the PMA-701 MM specs only, for the 600 line specs as well in these categories. I'm not sure what this means.

I'm most curious about whether these were genuine audiophile amps for their times, From what I can tell they retailed at about 90,000 yen in Japan which is about $1000 or $6000 in today's money inflation adjusted. Seems costly but I know there are mixed feelings about Denon out there.

Any thoughts/actual experience? I fell for one being auctioned online and am going to audition with my B&W DM2As when it arrives :)