hifi engine

Akai 4000D Pro

Mikola's picture

Will be very grateful for any information on Akai 4000D Pro 2 trck 7 1/2 & 15 IPS open reel deck.
Thanks in advance

Re: Akai 4000D Pro

Hi - I renovate and service reel to reel recorders and am the proud owner of a 4000D pro - so what do you want to know? They are very rare, and were sold in a portable black case, presumably for field use.

It is basically very similar to the 4000DS Mk 2 but with higher speeds so the frequency response is much better at 15ips. To achieve this it uses a larger capstan sleeve which sometimes leads to less good wow and flutter. As well as changing the capstan sleeve like many Akai machines you also have to put on a smaller pinch wheel. All these bits slot into a small storage area on the back.

I have seen them change hands for up to £600 on ebay in reasonable condition but I have been offered much more for my pristine one by a collector who has all the Akai models but this one!

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more. I have a partial instruction manual - only snag is that its in Japanese!

Regards

Andy

Mikola's picture

Thank you, Andy
I've bought this deck at Japan Yahoo auction for $153 (250 including sipping cost) and it is still on its way to my home. I just wanted to find the SM because this unit for shure needs service.
If PRO model is similar to DS II - it's fine, I have all manuals for it.
Regards, Nikolay

That sounds like a bargain! Good luck with it.

Regards

Andy