hifi engine

Akai AM-M830 with low output volume

Hello all,

I have been given one of these by a friend to see if I can fix. I have downloaded the service manual from this site and will be printing that out on Monday when I am back at work.

I was just after some pointers to give me a head start. The unit (along with all its ribbon cabled ancillaries) powers up ok, but when playing a source through it you can only hear sound when you turn the volume knob up to max and then all you can hear is reminiscent of sitting next to someone on the bus listening to music on headphones.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers

Nigel

karodimitrov's picture

Re: Akai AM-M830 with low output volume

MUTE?

Your deck has connectors on the back that say 'Processor, In Out'; do you have jumpers from the input to output connectors? I believe this is like the old Pre-amp out, Amp in connectors.

Top tip Johnnysan.

The setup has a "sound processor" unit that connects to those connections. I suspect the owner had taken the leads out at some point and never put them back in or connected them back up with OUT to OUT and IN to IN.

Connected up with a couple of leads and all is OK, it's nice to have a simple fix for a change.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Nigel