hifi engine

Akai GX-635D

yashoda rohana's picture

I bought an Akai GX-635D Without the wood panels from a friend and he claims that the unit was put to storage 2 years ago. after I brought it home and plugged it in, it started up and plays well but when I tried to record in my new tapes it doesn't record. The vu meters work and the source can be heard but doesn't record. I checked the tapes in my other machine and they seemed to be fine. I also took the machine apart but everything seems to be fine inside. Any suggestions

yashoda rohana's picture

Re: Akai GX-635D

The last few days I was really busy with some other projects that needed finishing. so now I got back to my GX-635D and again took it all apart and replaced all the transistors but this time I fell to bigger trouble. Now the machine doesn't playback or record anything. I think the problem is in the 2sk68 transistors which is muting the unit

yashoda rohana's picture

I also found out that the record timer works perfectly too, but still not recording

karodimitrov's picture

Did you try to erase old records. Is this works?

karodimitrov's picture

REC MODE switches must be "ON"
REC MUTE -"OFF"

yashoda rohana's picture

Thanks for the reply
Yes the Rec Mode in left & Right are switched on and the Rec Mute is off.
Also the record Led comes on which means it is recoding, but not recording anything on the tapes

Pentagrid's picture

If you're comfortable working on the innards of the machine I would try checking he switches which control the recording function (the switch which control the LED is obviously working). This would entail getting a circuit diagram & an ohmmeter (multimeter). If it's not erasing the tapes the bias oscillator could have failed but I think you would till get a very low level & distorted signal on the tapes. Sorry I can't pinpoint the trouble more clearly, good luck hunting:)