hifi engine

AKAI X 1800 SD Won't Play - Need Parts

Hello, I'm new to this site, so if I'm going about anything wrong I apologize. I recently purchased an AKAI X 1800 SD at an estate sale and it would work fine exempt for some reason the cams that control the play and FFW/ REW are made out of some inferior metal. Does anyone know where I can find replacement cams for this machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm gonna ask a repair guy I know tomorrow if he's got some, but it's so frustrating, being able to see it, and its almost flawless besides. Bummer. Help! Thanks for looking..
P.S. Also looking for a FFW/REW lever/knob, seems to be missing too..

Are both of the cams broken, or just one?
I have 3 or 4 of the 1800's. Only one had the cracked/brittle cams. The others were fine
Akai used these cams on quite a few of their RTR's. try and locate a parts unit, and see if the mechanism matches up by looking at the service manuals on this site. I believe the x-1700 is the same mech, as well as others. I would suggest looking for a parts unit and take a shot on craigslist or ebay.

Tom

The pot metal parts they used have been a problem for some time. I've heard of some who made their own replacement parts, but if you are not familiar with metal working and fabrication it would be almost impossible. Buying junker units would probably mean getting the same crappy parts.
Wish I had better news for you.

Thanks for the reply. I must admit, I was thinking of trying to fabricate a part out of wood I'm so frustrated! What kills me is everything else looks so rock solid!

A local machinist may be able to help, but it won't be cheap.