hifi engine

Also Am-2250

I wonder if anyone can help; I have an am-2250 that keeps blowing a 2v fuse. I'm running a pioneer pl-s40 tt through the tape input via a cheap radio shack preamp due to the phono input registering hardly audible distortion. It sounds great when it works but after I power it down I turned it back on and nada- checked the fuse after just having changed it and sure enough it's blown- to the best of my knowledge it's the correct voltage fuse.

Any advice is appreciated- thinking I need to clean the pots to get the phono input working but not sure how to go about this

Re: Also Am-2250

You might look at the solder connections to the two STK463 audio amplifiers and around that area.

I'm only seeing one stk-463 and as far as I can tell the solder connections look fine- I checked the service manual and for replacement fuses it lists 2a at different voltage- 250 and 125- not sure what the original fuses were as I've replaced them so many times but I'll try 2a 125v vs the 2a 250v fuses I was using which kept blowing

The voltage rating of a fuse has to do with safety and a rating called interrupted current. If you had a 900 volt circuit and you used a 250 volt fuse, it may not interrupt current flow; in other words, current may arc over and be unsafe. If you use a 125 volt fuse where a 250 volt fuse was called, and the voltage was 125, then you are still safe. Speaker levels will not get that high, so the voltage rating is hardly ever important. A fuse will blow if current is exceeded by a certain percentage; it does not matter about voltage--could be 2 or 47 or 91 volts. Most fuses blow within 5 seconds at 100% overload (twice the current), so using a higher rated fuse is a big mistake--the circuit may never be able to supply that current and it will never blow, so other components will fail first.

The fuse is there to protect your equipment. If it blows means something is drawing too much current. Never use a higher value. If you look on net you may find videos and other information about cleaning pots and trouble shooting. Could be the amp needs bias and/or DC offset adjusted see service manual. Think about replacing electrolytics in the power supply and driver boards at minimum. Maybe this link will help http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/akai-am-2250-blows-fuse-a...

Thank you for the advice- I used some deoxit for the pots but haven't been able to resolve the fuse issue- I thought it may have been blowing due to the fact I was using a preamp with the tt but without the preamp it still blows

Re: Akai Am-2250

Damn auto correct- AKAI am-2250 and yes I meant 2amp fuse

Who makes the AM-2250? I think you mean 2 amp fuse.