hifi engine

The Carver Receiver 900

Hi, I bought this the other day at GW. A gamble as all I could do was plug it in and see that it lit up properly but that was it. I downloaded the manual and hooked it up to my turntable and two speakers. I turned it on, selected phono and put on a record. Nothing, no sound at all. Tried volume, AB switch, etc. Nothing. Then hooked up an FM antenna and hit tuner. Still nothing at all. While it is old, it looks in very good shape and all the lights seem to be working fine. Anything suggestions on where to look? Any magic reset that I have overlooked?
Thanks
Michael

Re: The Carver Receiver 900

First check that the jumpers are inserted for pre-amp out/amp in on the back panel. If they are missing you won't have audio out to the speakers.
It might be in protection mode. Within a few seconds of powering on you should hear a slight click; that is the relay coming on. If not, it's still in protect mode; this can be caused by bias not being correct or components in the audio circuit being bad.

Thanks for the reply, the jumpers are in place. I thought that I had heard a click when I first turned it on, but could be mistaken. I unplugged everything and started over and when I turned it on, I did not hear anything. Everything lights up but no sound. So, is there some reset internally or is something fried that will have to be replaced?
Michael

If you hear a click it should be coming out of protection mode. I don't think there is any kind of reset. The monitor and dubbing switches have to be in the center positions I believe. Are the jumpers straight across (horizontal)? If they are vertical they are inserted incorrectly.

The bars are horizontal and the monitor dubbing switches are in the middle. Pretty sure I don't hear a click, double checked speaker wires to make sure no stray wire was touching anything. Guess I will have to take it to a repair shop. Hopefully it will not be a whole lot wrong with it. It is supposed to be a very nice unit when working.
Michael