hifi engine

correct way to connect an atenna (arial wire) to a pioneer tx608 stereo receiver

I am a "senior citizen" residing in a suburb named Clubview, in the city Pretoria, South Africa. I bought a Pioneer TX608 stereo receiver and a Pioneer SA508 stereo amplifier during 1980. Both are still in excellent condition and work perfectly except that the receiver's original T wire arial has been damaged beyond repair. I have obtained another similar type of seperated twin flex wire which is 5 meters long but I am not sure how to connect the wire to the screws on the back of the reeceiver/tuner. Under a heading "ANTENNA" on the backplate of the receiver there are two connection screws for FM, one marked "Balanced" and the other "Unbalanced". There's also third screw marked "Gnd" and one marked "AM". Above these screws there is a button which can be moved left or right into three positions marked "25..S, 50..S and 75..S".
I would REALLY, REALLY appreciate advice and instructions on how to connect the atenna/arial and in which position to set the switch.
Thanks and Regards,
Chris Horne

karodimitrov's picture

Re: correct way to connect an atenna (arial wire) to a ...

The most simple and effective antenna that I've ever done is 1.5 m wire connected to FM-unbal-second screw in your tuner.Near the window as a car antenna.You can change the angle for better sensitivity.Try-it's simply.And works.

Re: correct way to connect an atenna (arial wire) to a ...

Thank you very much Karodimitrov! It is now almost 20H00 here in Pretoria and very cold so I'm going to try your plan tomorrow morning. Will let you know the results.

Re: correct way to connect an atenna (arial wire) to a pioneer t

The T wire antenna you speak of is a dipole; they are normally about 30 inches across for FM, not 5 meters. You should connect the two wires to the two FM antenna connections (not Gnd or AM). The switch you mention is for de-emphasis; in the US, it is 75us. In Europe it is usually 50us, and 25 is usually for Dolby. I don't know what they use in South Africa. I will do a search.

Re: correct way to connect an atenna (arial wire) to a pioneer t

I do appreciate your fast feedback Johnnysan. Will cut the dipole shorter and connect as you recommed. Will give a report-back. Thanks!