hifi engine

Denon AVR 1700 No Sound

I have an older Denon AVR1700 that I have had sitting around for years. Finally needed it, so I connected all wiring, power, etc and fired it up.
Comes on, all the buttons work.
Have tried using multiple inputs, and can not get ANY sound on any one of them. Not even static.
Where would I start to chase and diagnose an issue as such?
I am handy and pretty decent on repairing most things, I just need the guidance.
Thanks,
Brian

Re: Denon AVR 1700 No Sound

Do you hear the protection relay click within a few seconds after powering on? If not, you won't get any audio. It could be poor connections in the audio circuits or the interconnects between boards or possibly some capacitors have gone bad.

Power button pushes on and within two seconds there is an audible CLICK from the inside of the unit.

Don't pull off the top cover yet, you've not fully troubleshot the symptom. Use a common analog CD player, connected to CD inputs. Toggle input selectors, ending with CD button. Confirm display indicates CD has been selected. Toggle the Stereo and Dolby Surround switches to be sure the system is in Stereo mode. Equally important, is to toggle the Analog/Digital switch, in case unit is in a digital only mode. Watch the display, make sure unit is in Analog Stereo mode. Use headphones for testing, this will negate loudspeaker wiring issues. There is a multitude of functions available, some features can yield no sound (6CH Ext. In is just one example). Get out the instruction manual if you have it, there are likely tips for enabling certain modes and properly selecting viable inputs. When adjusting volume, start with minimum setting, select a function, then gradually raise the volume level, paying attention to Volume Level numeric indication displayed. This avoids stark surprises. Having a notepad available during testing is worthwhile.

I would check all the solder connections on the pins that connect board to board.