hifi engine

Help with a pioneer 1080

not sure if this is the right forum...but having issues with the right output. Very scratchy barely able to get it to work. If I jiggle the tone switch it works sometimes. Any help?

Help with a pioneer 1080

Hello,
This is usually caused by dirty switches. If you are familiar with working on units such as this, you need to get a good deox cleaner like Caig deoxit D100, with the small nozzle. All switches and controls should be done, as the tape monitor mono/stereo, and muting switch can also cause this problem. The speaker protect relay having dirty contacts is also a common issue that can be causing this problem.
If you haven't done work like this before, I would suggest finding an older technician such as I to do the repairs. These 1080's are beautiful units from the classic pioneer days. I just reconditioned a few recently, and actually had to remove, disassemble, clean, and reinstall all 8 of the lever switches because the internal contacts were too dirty for the deox cleaner to clear. If you aren't familiar with this type of equipment, you could cause some catestrophic failures.
If you are familiar, and could use some advise, feel free to email me at tbrander@aol.com