hifi engine

Hitachi D-5500M Looking for "Owner's Manual"

Just purchased this Hitachi D-5500M Cassette Deck.
I purchased it at a garage sale on 3/23/2013.
I paid $3.00!!!
Yes, that is correct "$3.00". They were asking $4.00.
It was in a very dirty condition and had tape debris all over the exterior.
I spent the last 2 days repairing the unit. I am retired so time was not a problem.
The biggest hassle was removing the old belts, which had "melted" from age.
If you have ever had to clean this black-greasy-substance off, you know it is a job.
The exterior and interior where actually in very good condition, considering it's age.
I have a misc. supply of flat, round and square belts that I made use of.
The Service Manual that I downloaded at no cost did not show the belt installation/configuration.
So I had to do a little trial-and-error.
There were 2 burnt resistors (still had the original ohm value!) and a diode with one end unsoldered from the printed circuit board.
When I was troubleshooting and checking transistors and diodes on the tape drive board, I started with the group of 4 transistors for the Play, FF and Rewind circuit.
Fortunately, when I soldered the legs back onto the printed circuit board, it started working properly and my problems were resolved.
So like someone wrote in another article "bad solder connections" big problem with this model.
The remote works perfectly if in the unit.
However when it is removed it works for 5 to 10 seconds and then quits.
I will have to troubleshoot this later, but I need a break from the 2 continuous days of labor.
So, if anyone has an "Owner's Manual" paper, CD, email, whatever... I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks for your time;
-Rex-

krokkor's picture

Hi Rex,

i need to check in my archive if Owner's manual is available. In affirmative case i'll send it to you. I'll be able to do this from next 03 April 'cause actally i'm out for work.

Stay tuned.

Cheers

Krokkor

krokkor's picture

Hi Rex,

sorry, no Owner's manual was present at my archive.

Enjoy your D-5500.

Cheers

krokkor

Hitachi D-5500M

Thank You Very Much for trying...
I greatly appreciate it.
Take Care;
-Rex-

I have uploaded today the service manual