hifi engine

Kenwood KC-206 Service manual

I have a Kenwood KC-206 stereo preamp that doesn,t operate correctly and would like to get a service manual for it. Does anyone have access to one that i could get a copy of? Everything lights up but only a very small amount of volume can be obtained.

Re: Kenwood KC-206 Service manual

This may be too late but usually this preamp is ok but the remote volume setting does into a protection mode after it has been setting for an extended period of time! The result is low or non responsive volume off the knob!
To correct one needs to look for an old universal remote with Kenwood codes or a search function and use that to turn the internal volume on the florescent meter from four or less up to the default of ten. Just hit the volume on your hand remote and it becomes fully functional again! It's a design quirk! Note I used a Zenith remote with the Kenwood Code as well as doing a code search on a Sony remote and both worked! I hope this helps someone as this is a pretty good unit once it works correctly.

zachsherer2000's picture

hello i was searching around for a service Manual for my recently acquired KC-206 and ran into your post here. I am having this issue and was just curious how exactly you were able to get a zenith and a sony remote to work, do they need to be remotes specifically for audio equipment or will any kind of remote do the trick. Also any other information on the process would be greatly appreciated i really want to add this thing to my setup.

Thank you

Both remotes were Universal Remotes from the 80's I had laying around. They both had buttons for audio as well as TV and other components. The first code I tried for Kenwood audio worked on the Zenith but I had to use code search function for the Sony! Note these were cheap remotes and they have lots of them for sale on ebay for little to nothing! Just make sure they have the code books!

I also assume Dish remotes would also work but I did not try to program them!

Also the factory remote for it is a RC-206 and they are very hard to find but many Kenwood Audio remotes will work. I think if you will go to remotes.com they have other remotes that would work or at least give you a list so you can get one to correct your problem! I thought about a factory one to get all of the original functions. As they appear every so often. I have just been too tight to spend the money as the correct one if on there can go for over $30.00. And controlling the sound level was my main objective. I hope this helps you. Oh yes I turned the KC-206 on manually then tried the codes or search to turn it off when it did I had it. PS It is a good sounding unit and I got the control amp, power amp, tuner, and dual tape deck in a box for $20.00 from Goodwill. Everything works well now! I was lucky!

zachsherer2000's picture

Awesome, I have a few older remotes that fit your description i will give them a try see if i get lucky. Totally am with you tho on buying an original remote especially when i got the unit for free, in fact i saved it from a tragic death at the local landfill got it home & really enjoyed using it as some what of a pre amp/EQ thingy. I wish i could have gotten the full set like you did, I used to get finds like that all the time at goodwill but now i walk in and seconds later walk straight out the prices are unreal, maybe its just the ones in my neck of the woods...But hey thanks again for taking the time to help me out really appreciate it