hifi engine

Kenwood KR 2400

My radio tuner on my Kenwood KR 2400 suddenly stopped tuning, i.e., I went to tune to another station, and the knob turns and the tuning light moves, but the station doesn't change. Any idea what I can do?
Much appreciated.
I've had - and enjoyed - this tuner since 1974. I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix...
Thanks!
John R

Re: Kenwood KR 2400

If you mean that the tuning pointer moves but the stations don't change, then I would suspect that the shaft has come loose in the tuner. It's sometimes possible to reinsert it if you are careful; if it comes all the way out then you will need to restring the dial cord, which is not fun.
It should be noted that if the shaft has come loose, then the pointer is probably in the wrong position.

Thanks for the guidance. I was able to remove the cover, and and reinsert the shaft as you suggested. All works perfectly...except that now, I can only tune to about 103 MHz on the FM band. Any idea what has happened?
Thanks!

When the shaft came loose the tuning indicator moved to an incorrect position. I would CAREFULLY pull the shaft out again a short distance, then set the tuning to 103, then reinsert the shaft. This should leave it close enough. Do not pull the shaft out farther than needed; if you do, everything can come loose and it will be a big job to put it back together.
Also, that shaft can come out again. I have installed L brackets that will hold the shaft in position and not allow it to move outward. The problem is that the shaft had a retainer that has failed; it's almost impossible to repair these with the tuner installed; a bracket will correct the problem.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.