hifi engine

Kyocera D-601 Cassette Deck

nabeelsayegh's picture

Hello HFE...

Looking for a service manual for a Kyocera D-601 cassette deck. This is a unique deck in that it has a direct drive Capstan motor and a clutch style take up/hi-speed engagement using a pulley system. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology or not, but that is as best as I can do.)

Only belt on this guy drives the lap counter. Having an issue with the high speed engagement and take up drive not engaging. Servo motor is good it's just that its not getting enough friction to spin the take-up or FF/RW. Looking to see if there is an adjustment procedure or anything similar.

AVM Sir Rodney Pentode's picture

Re: Kyocera D-601 Cassette Deck

nabeelsayegh

I am uploading the service manual for the Kyocera D-801 Casette Deck as we don't seem to have one in the database. Maybe there is some similarity to the D-601 Best regards.

I'm not familiar with your deck, but does the clutch mechanism use plastic discs with felt pads with springs for tension? If so, they usually need to be taken apart and cleaned, or replaced.

nabeelsayegh's picture

No...this is one of those drive 'tires' that wedges itself against the left or right drive flywheels. I replaced the tire and it's better, but it looks like it still needs adjustment. On occasion, it does not want to engage even after ensuring the flywheels are clean as well as the tire. Going to have to tear it apart again to see what is going on....

If anyone has a service manual....please post it. I would like to see if there is an adjustment/tensioning procedure.

It appears that this is a common drive arrangement in many older decks. Although I don't have access to the service manual for the D-601 and I see no on-line links for it, there is a good chance that the tire you mentioned is actually an idler attached to a swinging arm that swivels to the left (supply) or right (take-up) hub tables, depending on which direction the motor shaft is rotating. The motor shaft itself would be contacting the top of the idler.

I believe your best bet for finding more information is to locate the service manual for the higher model D-801 or D-811. These models should share the same mechanism for the hub drive. I see the latter model's service manual is selling for $14.95 at HiFiManuals.com.