hifi engine

left channel on a pioneer sa 9100 sounds a little weak

just got a pioneer SA 9100 the unit seems to be playing a little less crisp and weaker on the left channel then the right, it plays but there is a difference. I've checked it on all speaker selections and with 3 pairs of speakers, it's the same. wondering if anyone has a fix or suggestion. THANKS

Re: left channel on a pioneer sa 9100 sounds a little weak

Clean all the controls and switches first; if there's still problem then some electrolytic capacitors may be bad (could be in the pre-amp or main amp sections).

thanks Johnny; playing with the switches I have found that it is the dB control knob behind the volume control knob when I move it slightly out of place the channel comes in, could this be a cleaning issue; also it has a fairly loud pop when I move the low filter toggle that only come out of the left channel. any suggestion. Thank you

Loud Pop when engaging filter switches, or tone switches is usually caused by a leaky capacitor. Usually the culprits are the small value tantalum caps with values like .1, .22, .47, or 1uf. The pop is caused by a level of DC voltage the signal is riding on.

I just looked at the print. I would suspect C5 or C6 (depending on which channel) on the Filter Amp Board (AWK-021-0). They are higher value than I thought. They are 47uf at 10v.
But truthfully, there aren't many many electrolitics on this filter amp board, so I would just replace all of them, if cleaning of the switches doesn't fix it.

I need to find someone close that can do repairs because I would mess it up but if you mention vintage electronics repair it's like a disease thanks for the info