hifi engine

Marantz 2270 will not power up

I picked up Marantz 2270 last week, it had a damaged cord that I fixed but still won't power up. I checked that it is getting power into the receiver, and also checked the fuse in the back. I have a multimeter but very very limited knowledge on how to use it ( my father is spinning in his grave seeing me type this, for he had extensive knowledge on it but I was a stupid kid for not watching and learning). Are there any simple things to check before I take it to a shop? I appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance
Blackrock1

Re: Marantz 2270 will not power up

The best would be to check voltages across the unit according to service manual. This is not very difficult if you know how to use mulitmeter. And I agree with the other colleague about the fuse. Lately I've lost power supply for indicating lamps/leds of my Pioneer A-7...I was digging and digging and finally found....bad contact in fuse holder. Sometimes the simplest thing is difficult to find

I did some voltage checks, I have 120 at the unstitched outlet and 120 at the switched outlet. The funny thing is the switched outlet is working when the power switch is in the off position and not working when in the on position. The power button does not match the rest of the buttons, could the switch have been replaced and installed wrong?

It's possible the switch is wrong; many people try rigging the wrong parts. The power transformer primary winding (where the 120 volts AC goes in) should measure about 1.1 ohms; do a resistance check at the power cord plug. If it is open, check at the fuse holder and AC socket on the back; the wires on mine are yellow and red. If the yellow and red wires show open, then the transformer is bad; if it shows 1.1 ohms, then you have a wiring problem or a bad switch.

Thank you I'll give that a try.

Power switch may be open; they fail sometimes. Transformer may be open, but that is very rare. Are you certain the cord was replaced correctly? It just solders to an AC outlet on the back and the wiring goes to the switch and transformer. I have seen fuse holders that were not making good contact with the fuse; with the set unplugged, check for continuity at the fuse holder--should be close to zero ohms.