hifi engine

Marantz CD 5001 playing issues

Hi! I recently purchased a second hand cd 5001, however it has a few issues!

Firstly when I initially turned it on and put in a cd, it kept saying error. After a few on/off's it finally started playing. The only problem is that the first few tracks sound like I'm listening to it underwater! If I skip forwards, the rest of the tracks play fine. I have tried cleaning the lens with some alcohol, but its not made much difference. However when the it does play, it sounds great!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Martin

The lens assembly runs on rails (or at least one rail) that is a chrome shaft. This needs to be clean with only a very slight amount of oil on it. Originally they used a grease that gets hard and this needs to be cleaned off with alcohol. I have left some of these wiith no oil on them because the laser sled is nylon and some of them just work better with nothing on them. The ones that have one chrome shaft will usually have a slider pin (on the opposite side) that rides on a flat plastic piece that also needs cleaning.
Be careful that you don't touch the laser lens; cleaning it can be a lengthy process (especially if the owner is a smoker).
Next you need to check the motor assembly that drives the laser sled; usually it's a gear arrangement that has the same type of grease that hardens. Clean it then use a very small amount of oil on the gear teeth. You can manually turn the motor but use care; the nylon gears can break. If the motor is really stiff it may need replacement (not too likely, but they do go bad).
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try tonight, kill or cure I guess!!!

I had a go at cleaning the mechanism last night with some cotton buds and cleaning solution. I managed to clean all of the old white grease out, some of which had gone hard, checked everything over and fired her up. Still does the 'underwater' sound, but only on track one (did play track two fine and then started doing it on track three, but only once!) I then turned her off, back on and it played perfectly all the way through, then when I switched it off and back on again, it played the first track 'underwater' but all other tracks perfect!

The motor sled and all the motors function fine and the disc spins correctly.

Do I need to try another laser?

Thanks in advance

Is the manufacture date given on the back of the unit? I Have a Marantz CD 5003 made in Sept 2008. Never any problems with it. You can now get the CD 5004 brand new for $299 at Audiophile Liquidators, or the 6004 for $349. IMHO older CD playeres are just not worth the time and trouble trying to fix.

I managed to find a new laser on Ebay for very little money (a Sony kss-213c if I recall correctly) which was a direct swap with the original. I fitted it last night (yes I remembered to remove the anti-static blobs!!), and I've not touched the laser adjustment screw on the back, however, I'm still experiencing the 'Aquaman's voice' on tracks one and two, but it plays fine on all other tracks. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Martin