hifi engine

Marantz CP430 Cassette recorder: turns but no audio, help!

Hello
I have One of these excellent portable cassette decks (also called PMD430 in the US) which I use as part of my main hi-fi setup. I've just bought another off eBay which was listed as for parts as it wasn't working. I've opened up the unit and found the belts needed replacing, which I've done. I'm not electronics savvy, but did check the boards and wiring just to check it's all ok, nothing loose etc. Unfortunately once put back together, the player plays/rewinds etc but there's no output, either to the monitor speaker on the unit or to my system. I've cleaned the heads - they were immaculate as were the innards (no battery leak corrosion for instance), and the unit itself looks pretty much like new. I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious..? I wondered if anyone out there had experience of these units, or could suggest a source for having it looked at to repair. I'm based in Cambridge UK. Many thanks, David

Re: Marantz CP430 Cassette recorder: turns but no audio, help!

Is your record/playback switch in the correct position? If it's in record position then playing a tape will erase it.

Hi, what specifically do you mean by the record/playback 'switch' on this model - do you mean the piano keys or something else?

There is a long switch mounted on the circuit board that is responsible for putting the electronics in playback or record mode; it is actuated by a lever. If this lever is out of position it may be in record mode instead of playback mode.

OK, so I opened the unit up and found the long switch - looks a bit like a cannon in that it has a metal housing about 12mm by 5mm viewed from above, with a white plastic 'rod' protrusion, which is spring loaded so when I pushed the rod in with a small implement, the rec led light came on on the facia panel whilst I had a tape in play mode. Still no audio though despite having the monitor speaker 'on', and still nothing showing on the VU's..

If the switch is not the problem then it could be several other things, from the head to a power supply problem.