hifi engine

MCS 3563 Cassette Deck plays but does not record. help!

Hi there! Just found really nice Modular Component Systems 3563 Cassette Deck. Unit plays but does not record, as in, when i press Record, nothing happens, tape doesnt advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Recaptcha's picture

Re: MCS 3563 Cassette Deck plays but does not record. help!

I see from my own research that it uses old "piano key" mechanical control as opposed to Logic control, or computer control. This is good as you don't have to worry about failed electrical components causing response issues.

It is normal for the tape not to move when you just press record. You have to press record and play together in order to get the tape to actually record. Record puts it in erase/write mode, and play starts the motor moving the tape in a forward motion.

So, press record, while holding down record, press play as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, that's good news! I had a suspicion that was the case, but the buttons wont stay down together.

What should I look to as cause?

Sorry, I've just recently gotten into doing my own repairs so have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Recaptcha's picture

Well, Probably it is some sort of mechanical clasp or latch that keeps the buttons held down. Firstly, press the buttons down quite firmly to make sure that they are going all the way down, second, hold the buttons down to see if you can get a tape to record by acting as the latch that holds the buttons in place. If you can get a tape to record fine, then you have simply a bad mechanical latch.

Also, will the buttons stay in place for even a few seconds? If so, you might have a bad solenoid.

Let me know what happens.

So I did what you suggested and yes, it does record, but play will not stay down. I got it to stick for one second but it wont stay latched.

Another problem I'm having is that it will rewind and then stop before tape is rewound. Kind of slows down then stops.

Thanks for taking time out to answer my questions, I appreciate it.

Recaptcha's picture

Your welcome! The slowing down in FF/REW is a dried up rubber disc on the tape transport mechanism, easy fix, apply rejuvenation fluid to the rubber discs around the take-up spindles and you should be good, also changing the belts would help. I have had that very problem out of my old decks, and when I applied the rejuvenation fluid, it would fix the problem for about 7-10 months. No perment fix outside of buying new rubber parts (which would be difficult if not impossible to find).

The fact that the record and play buttons can stay down for at least a second leads me to believe that something that detects the condition of the recording state (tape moving, power on, input audio present) is causing a solenoid to kick the buttons back up. It has happened on a few of my decks, especially the piano key ones. You should take the deck apart, shine a flashlight into the deck, and see what's happening. You will probably find the problem or at least find out how the mechanism works.

Troubleshooting wise, the fact that the play button can stay down but not both play and record leads me to believe that the problem is a Solenoid.

Here's what a solenoid looks like:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/v0AAAOSwAypZuI1F/s-l1600.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the insight, I'll let you know what I manage to figure out. CHeers!

Hi,

The symptoms are typical of a shut-off sensor being activated. I can't locate a service manual for this unit, but usually there is a thin belt that is attached to the take-up reel (right) and the counter mechanism. On the counter, a circular magnet goes around and around and activates a reed switch via a magnetic field. These pulses are what tell the deck that the tape is moving. If there are no pulses for a specified time, the deck will activate a solenoid that then activates the stop function. This same principle works for play, fast forward and rewind.

The usual fix is to replace the belt and clean any rubber residue from the pulleys.

-bob

Hi bob. Yes, little to no information on this unit. I appreciate you offering your insight. I don't know too much about the workings of a tape deck. I might take in for service, but would rather figure it out myself. I'll let you know how it goes . Thanks!