hifi engine

NAD 3020 thermal circuit breaker

Hello,

I've just rescued no, more, no less, just beautiful NAD 3020 from recycling. :-), but somebody has just rummaged in it and replaced both thermal circuit breakers with usual fuses. Original (as I know) there are circuit breakers named A-22. Despite of my longer researching I've found nothing about this element.
Thus:
1. Could somebody write me which manufacturer (company) come it from
(there is letter "S" on it)?
or
2. Which parameters has this part? In this case I'll try to find at least reasonable substitute for them.

Many thanks in advance,

Marek Czeszek.

Re: NAD 3020 thermal circuit breaker

Hi!

I asked my friend repairman about those breakers. He says that they make little sense in that place in the circuit, so you can leave the fuses. If something goes wrong they`ll act quicker than the bimetallics, if the values are right.

P.S. Nice score! Zbiórka elektrośmieci?

Thanks for quick reply.

Of course, from electronic point of view - the fuses could be even better, however in case of overload they must be exchanged (bimetallic, in opposite, switch back automatically). Furthermore I don't want to improve this beautiful classics, but rather restore original state (as possible).

BTW: I have such switches in other exemplar. According to my measurements - they switch off by ca. 4,4 Amp.

Greetings,

Marek.

P. S. Znalazłem w sklepie ze starzyzną przeznaczony do wyrzucenia.
Kosztował 10 (dziesięć!) €. (Bought in second hand shop for 10 € :-)

No problem :)

I wonder why someone removed those bimetallics. Maybe they became intermittent after all these years?
IMO they may give a false sense of security: "oh, the amp switched off, let`s wait a while, it`ll turn on again". A blown fuse looks more serious, a warning, good reason to look what`s going on. But that`s my opinion :)

Working beats original :) I usually buy audio gear very cheaply, but most of the time in sorry state. Restoring is half of the fun, but sometimes I have to make a decision: wait for original parts and pay premium if they appear at all, or have the device modified, but working. I usually do the latter if it does not affect performance.

Cheers!
Tomasz.

P.S. Sklepy ze starzyzną i pchle targi to magiczne miejsca :) Upolowałem niedawno NAD`a 3030, do zrobienia, grzebany, tani, jak lubię :) Czeka na swoją kolej, teraz robię Realistika STA-20: 5€, grzebany, stan opłakany, serwisówki brak. Sama przyjemność :D

Since main problem is just solved and "official" language of this forum is english
- I suggest to continue via private emails. What about?

Greetings,

Marek.

Got carried away a bit :) Sure, message me if you feel like it :)

Cheers,
Tomasz.

Hello,

With plasure, but I don't know Your email address.
My address is: imię-i-nazwisko-małymi-literami-bez spacji_małpa_t-online.de

Greetings,

Marek.

SONY use circuit breakers in some units.

But it could be Sankyo too.