hifi engine

Panasonic Ct-f950 tape stopping

On Friday picked up a Panasonic ct-f950 off kijiji. Was told it was in good working order. Not the case....cosmetically very good and all lights and indicators working great and it looks mint but when I attempt to play a tape it stops right away....press play and .5 seconds later tape stops....not sure how to troubleshoot or figure out where the problem is....if anyone has any ideas on what I could try to test and troubleshoot it would be appreciated...

Thanks!

* Bad belts
* Bad idler tire
* Head stack not moving freely
* Pinch roller assemblies not moving freely

Lubrication drying out is a real problem with these older decks. You can get belt kits, but that's usually just part of the solution.

i agree with johnnysan.
bad belts, dirty/bad idler tires, dirty/bad takeup or idler clutch, frozen linkages or sensing unit.
Most probably main belt, dirty slipping idler, or small sensing wheel belt.
Tom

Thanks so much guys for the advice!!

I have a Ct F900 and have had it since it was new. I have had the same problem three times, in the past. The problem is now back. I checked my old repair sheets and the idler assembly was replaced each time. This time I have taken the unit apart, as far as I dare, and I cannot even see the idler assembly. I checked the web and I found a guy that has you tube videos and and a full video available on repairing the unit. I love this unit but I am torn as to whether to invest in another repair. I have checked all the belts and drives and they are fine. So, I think it is the assembly, again. This is a problem with all similar units e.g. 900/950/1250 etc. Good luck. And if you do get the problem fixed, you are going to have a fantastic piece of equipment. The last repair I had they told me that you have to use the unit alot and they emphasized ALOT. I have so much equipment, I know I don't play it enough.

Hello,
I have replaced the standard idler tire, with one slightly oversized, and replaced the belt as well. I agree it is a difficult to do repair on. This seems to be a weak point in these units. But a slightly oversized tire seems to provide a lot more positive torque to the take up reel table. But you need to pull the complete deck assembly out of the chassis/front panel to get to the idler.
Tom