hifi engine

Philips N47705

I've acquired an old Philips N47705 RTR tape deck which was supposed to be in great condition but cannot get any sound from the internal speakers. There is no line out socket so how do I connect to an external amplifier for playback. I cannot get hold of a user manual, just a service manual and that is in German so if anyone can help? Thanks

Re: Philips N47705

Are you sure about that model number? Nothing even close in the files here.

Whoops!!!!!
N-4407 should be the model number. Thanks for noticing. May I claim a senior moment in typing (I am in my 80s).. Once thanks.

I think the line output will be one or two of those 5-pin DIN connectors on the back. The manual is in German under Philips open reel decks.

Thanks.
I have already downloaded the german manual and am still trying to decipher it. It is 60 years since I last used a circuit diagram and I don't do German. Have got a dictionary though and will let you know how things go. Thanks once again

Hi,
there is a switch on the rear to change between headphone and speakers. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the sockets of that machine. It should be beside the voltage selector. You need to open the cover on the rear to reach it.

To get an output to an amplifier you must use the [IN-OUT] socket. It should be that one on the bottom of the 4 sockets. (or on the top) The others are MIC L, MIC R, PHONO. This 3 don't give any output, they are all inputs. But you need also a DIN plug. Better an adapter cable from DIN to RCA, for example:
https://www.amazon.de/Polig-M%C3%A4nnlich-Stecker-Chinch-Cinch/dp/B008N2...
The pins on the socket are:
3: Left out
5: Right out
2: common ground
Here you can find the numbering of the pins:
http://makarateyp.magnetofon.de/AB/texte/din.htm.

Hope it helps.

Hi.
Your notes are very helpful. I had already tried the speaker switch which is (fortunately!) clearly labelled but a bit hidden. Looks like it might be one of the sockets on the other side which are all 5pin. Unhelpfully these are labelled RADIO - PHONO - MICRO R - MICRO L-ST. I am thinking the best bet will be the MICRO L - ST. I will study the german manual some more and get hold of the appropriate connectors and give it a try. The guy I got it off obviously didn't do as much as he said he had done since now the right hand spool brake is stuck on during PLAY so I will have to explore inside which I understand is quite easy.
Needless to say he is not willing to give any advice so all this help is greatly appreciated.
I will post my progress ( if any!)
Thanks

Like the comment above already mentioned, PHONO - MICRO R - MICRO L-ST are all inputs. The RADIO DIN connector is the only line level input AND output connector. I have the service manual in English, maybe I can even find the DFU.

With kind regards, Ron.