hifi engine

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Okay so I picked up this tape deck for twenty bucks in hopes that I could get it going again. It came in original box and packaging with all original paperwork one owner etc. Powers up fine all lights and gauges work. When you attempt to play a tape it starts to play for a second or two then stops. I tried FF and it went the best out of any of the functions although it was lurchy and not a steady speed. ReW didn't really work and also when you are on Play feature for the second or two it plays it just builds up the tape inside and doesn't take it up. The person that sold it to me originally thought it had worked and when he went to box it up and shit it noticed it didn't play so I thought I could maybe get away with just getting a belt and idler kit for it and I might be off to a working unit. So, I ordered a belt kit and an idler from these guys here.

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/aPioneerbeltkit.aspx?page=3

I just downloaded the factory manual after getting the transport assembly and the motors and all belts and idlers free. My belt kit came with all the belts. The larger fat one and two really skinny ones for the take up reel and counter mech. The idler tire I received is much smaller in size than either of the idlers I removed. Also I am not sure which idler this tire is for as it's much like the FF idler as well. On my service manual theres a little not next to the FF idler A says it's only available as a whole assembly since 10-87? not sure what that's all about.

Aaanyway. I really want to replace both idler tires but not sure where to get the parts I have pictures showing the differences if that would help. Then again replacing this stuff might still not fix the problem I was experiencing anyhow. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. I'd really love to get this thing working this winter.

I just found some really good info over on AK forum about the idler assembly as far as FF and REW go I found a crack in my idler assembly plastic I'll try the fix the mark had success with and see if that doesn't work. Still looking for parts sources and for the correct idler tire as the one I ordered seems too small and I forced it on but it doesn't sit square in the channel it's rolled a bit causing it to sit slanted.

Thanks

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Hey Tom. Thanks so much for all of the helpful info. I will get in touch with Wjoe to get the tires and the motor pulley. I've already got belts so I was gonna see if I could leave those off although I guess it couldn't hurt to have an extra set. I am wondering if you would be willing to explain the ff idler repair maybe over the phone if possible. Mine is indeed cracked not sure I completely understand what should be moving and what should be fixed etc so I need to know in order to know how to repair. I have read about another way of a guy repairing them too. Anyway, if you don't care to share my email is reliablecycles@gmail.com thanks again

Taylor

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

sure thing,
I sent you a mail with my contact info.
Tom

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

If the new idler is not the same size it is the wrong one.

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

I figured so. I will try to get ahold of them to see if they can sort it out. Does anyone know if the idler and the FF idler use the same tire? Holding the two old cracked tires next to each other they look the same but holding the two idlers next to each other the idler between the capstan and the take-up reel looks just slightly larger than the FF idler. Are FF idler tires even available?

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Hello,
I am pretty familiar with these decks. The tires are similar, but not the same. I have found that the take up idler can usually be cleaned and resurfaced, as long as it is still rubbery and not rock hard. I use acetone to resurface and clean the idler. The FF/REW idler is almost always shot. Usually rock hard, and many times it will have a flat spot from where the motor pulley was turning, and the idler wasn't free. This is usually caused by a crack in the nylon of the idler/clutch assembly causing the spring to push the idler tire wheel tight against the metal bracket perpendicular to its mounting shaft. The repair I do on these is tricky because you need to use an instant glue to secure the cracked piece in place, but careful to avoid getting any glue on the clutch of pin shaft. You also need to have the clutch and idler assembly removed from the pin shaft, as you need to press the assembly tight to compress the spring as the glue sets.
These nylon parts/clutch assemblies etc are not available anywhere even though you saw the same note I had seen referring to 1987. Rubber tires are available some of better quality than others. I have had success with splitting some wider tires I had to be the same width. The replacement idler tire for the ff/rew can be a little larger in diameter, but not smaller. and the pulley on the motor must be cleaned well or be replaced, because if it is not grabbing right, you will still have a problem and could damage again the idler. Newly manufactured pulleys are available on line from I believe JOE's
Good luck
Tom

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

The place the pulley is available is at WJOE Radio. They may have idler tires, but are sold by size.
FYI, I have also "fixed" these pulleys but putting a very small wide belt over the existing rubber (typically using some rubber cement to keep it from coming off. As long as you get a new rubber surface on, it usually works
Tom

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Hello,
Just checked the site. they have full 9191 belt and idler kits as well.
http://www.wjoe.com/vintageandantiques.htm#CTF series

But remember, the clutch assembly needs to be fixed, and make sure that none of the linkages are frozen at the pivot points. I think there is one that likes to freeze, preventing the FF/REW assembly from moving all the way to the left and right.
Tom

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Hello, regards from españa,
I did an order to wjoe.com for my ctf 9191, Kit of rubber Pulley, the order realizes it on December 7 and not me to come... All the days is it late in the order comes?

Pioneer CT-F9191 Help.

Weber1600,
I was concerned about your comments relating to ordering from wjoe. I have ordered from him, and never had an issue. I sent Joe, of wjoe an email about shipping times, which he responded to immediately.
He assured me that he will always try and satisfy the customer.
Normal shipping time can be 2 to 5 days from his MA. location to other areas throughout the US. Items shipped overseas (such as Spain) can take 2 weeks or longer due to customs etc. He feels bad about this, but doesn't have much control over this.
There was some weather related issues, plus the normal Christmas Crush which could have caused some delays as well.
But if you contact Wjoe, he will give you a tracking number to help resolve where the package is.
Tom