hifi engine

Pioneer HPM 100 spk power handling

Echoes's picture

Hi gang,
Just today I bought a pair of Pioneer HPM 100 (not 200) speakers from a private seller. I guess I didn't do proper research first. I thought these were rated for 100 Watts rms each. It wasn't until I got home and read the spec sheet on the back only to find that they are rated for 50 Watts rms continuous power.

I got these to mate with a Pioneer SX-1010 reciever that has around 100 wpc output capability. Although I'll rarely turn past the 12 or 1 o'clock position I'm concerned of the potential for blowing any one (or more) of the speakers. Should I look for a more properly mated speaker set for my SX-1010? Reselling the HPM 100 won't be a problem, may already have a buyer waiting (at same price I paid) if that were the case.

Also, one of the woofer's dust cap is pushed in a bit. Is the there a safe way to suction or properly reshape it? or should I leave it be. It works and sounds fine in current condition.
Thanks in advance,
Echoes

Echoes's picture

Yes, my experience and understanding has always favored that it's better to have excess (but untapped) power on hand rather than push a lowered powered amp to it's limits where problems/issues are far more likely to occur.

These speakers, according to Pioneer, are rated 50w rms and that...
"The maximum input power of the HPM-100 is 100 Watts. Excess input power may damage speakers or cause unusual noise".
The max (peak) speaker ratings of previous eras, in this case late 1970's, were generally far more realistic and applicable than contemporary speaker peak handling ratings which usually refer to millisecond transients or the like.

I expect I should be fine with this receiver/speaker pairing as long as I don't turn the amp up to near full output levels, and I can always add a second pair of speakers out from the SX-1010 if I ever need more output, but volume is more than adequate in current configuration.
Still, anyone who's used this same (or similar) Pioneer pairing please chime in as well.

I have always had higher power vs speaker capacity...I've jack the sound up and played it low...you will know when you are driving the speakers too hard...The HPM 100's are strong and can take some abuse...You can always put an inline fuse on the speaker wire...

I have some HPM 60's...Had pushed in cones...I get my shop vac out, place my fingers between the nozzle and speaker cone...Always keep fingers between cone and nozzle...I turn on vac, push nozzle up to fingers quickly, then with a slow jerking motion, pull nozzle back...Push nozzle up to fingers pull back...Basically a repetitious motion back and forth...I use the space between my finger to adjust the amount of suction...Have had great success...Works on the fiber type cones well...The harder cardboard cones, works, but will leave a little dimple indent...Not caused by vac, dimple caused simply because cone was pushed in...

Another way I have "pulled out" depressed dust caps, when other ways fail, is to use a pin to make a small hole in the most dented section of the dust cover. Then I bend the end of the pin at an angle of about 45 degrees. File the very end of the pin so that is isn't sharp. Insert the pin into the hole, carefully working it around as a fulcrum to lift out the "dents". After the dust cover look good, just put a very small spot of glue to seal the pin hole. this works good with paper, linen, and cardboard dust covers. I wouldn't advise messing with "metal" dust covers, as they can tear easily. If its metal, I would more likely get a paper or cardboard dust cover a little larger, and cover the dented metal one.

Peter's picture

Try a piece or two of black tape,placed in the middle of the pushed in dust cap, press it on with fingernail until all air pockets under tape are pressed out, then let it sit on there for awhile(occasionally pressing in again with fingernail)until you feel the tape is tacky enough to hold, then slowly pull in a non-upward motion(in a angle)should take out the pushed in part (if not some but all) hope it works for you, I have had some failures but also many successful ones also(depending on type of dustcap i'm working with)

Buy speakers that are matched to your amp, and leave the dust cap alone.

Speakers with rating lower than the amp is really no problem.
Your ears will stop you long before Your speakers overload. Guaranteed.

Actually, too small amps represent a far bigger problem for speakers.
Overloaded amps may push out tremondous power in the HF-region when they are clipping.
Capable of frying tweeters rated several times the rated power of the amp.

I have always at least double the power on the amp versus the speakers.
No problem at all.

Dustcap: Leave it as it is.