hifi engine

Pioneer RT-707 - Transport Problem

I have recently come in contact with a Pioneer RT-707 that has not been used for a few years. While the machine looks to be in excellent condition, There seems to be one problem...tape transport from left to right. It seems the right reel is not providing enough torque pulling the tape through from left to right. Please advise. Thanks much.

Re: Pioneer RT-707 - Transport Problem

In response to djx ...it does not play from right to left. No movement at all in either direction in play mode. And speeds during FF and rewind seem ok.

I really appreciate the comments left and will attempt to apply.

Does it play OK right to left? Or is the capstan speed high? Are you able to play music as a basic check for speed? Can you feel if the capstan speed changes as you change tape speed?
sorry to blast you with questions-I had a similar problem with mine earlier in the year and found the capstan motor speed control circuit had failed-eventually came down to 1or 2 caps that had failed.
They were very small value electrolytics-a pity that Pioneer didnt spec something better originally.
Let me know what you find-I could check back to see what I had to replace if yours is the same.

The right reel is only for take-up, not pulling the tape. The pinch roller is responsible for torque. Are the capstan motor and pinch roller moving freely? If so, you may have a capstan motor drive problem.