hifi engine

Pioneer SA-8800 Power Switch Issue

There is a power indicator light above the power switch of my SA-8800 and sometimes when I set the switch to ON, the light flickers and I can hear a faint crackling sound. The amplifier will not play until the indicator light stays firmly on (and at that point I cannot hear the crackling sound).

I used some compressed gas from STAPLES on it and most recently some contact cleaner. Sometimes it will not do this (i.e. the unit comes right on) while others it will do it for almost a minute.

My thought was that the switch was dirty/corroded or a spider got in there; now I'm thinking the switch is going bad. Any comments?

Re: Pioneer SA-8800 Power Switch Issue

Tony,
I believe also that the switch is pretty well shot. And once you hear the crackling and see the lights flickering, the contacts are really starting to burn and pit.
Best option is to replace it.
The part number is ASK-124. you can find them on Ebay from time to time.
At times you can find similar Pioneer power switches that have 2 sets of contacts. These are even better in that you can connect with the 2 contact sets in parallel, making the connection a lot better.

tom

FYI,
There is a ASK-124 for sale on Ebay right now. It is listed for $20 buy it now. I would jump on it if I was you
tom

Tom - thanks for the tip!!!

Yes, the switch is probably bad now; any amount of cleaning will not help. It should be replaced.

karodimitrov's picture

Try to make the bypass of the switch. Then you will understand that the reason is it