hifi engine

Pioneer SX-1280 Repair

I have a Pioneer SX-1280 that requires repair. The problem (two different units) is that the volume will randomly deteriorate but when the volume is turned up for a second, the volume returns. This process repeats over time. Sometimes the issue does not return for days, other times this process does not stop so unit is shutdown.

I have been trying to find an electronics repair shop that is capable for repairing this stereo.

Any suggestions?

Pioneer SX-1280 Repair

I totally agree with
Cleaning and lubing all controls and switches
and especially clean relay contacts in the protect relay. This really sounds like your problem. To verify, gently tap the relay with a plastic probe, or the handle of a screwdriver while the unit is on and a low volume. You will probably notice the sound either coming back or going away as you tap the relay.

mdf's picture

Pioneer SX-1280 Repair

Clean or change de pot if you can, and don't forget to put in some synthetic non-conductive grease inside to promote smooth operation and long life span without problems..

Pioneer SX-1280 Repair

The switches and controls on the front pannel needed to be cleaned.

Pioneer SX-1280 Repair

My first suggestion would be that the protection relay contacts are dirty. Any tech worth more than 3 cents should be able to clean the relay or replace it if necessary. They should also clean the controls and switches at the same time.