hifi engine

Pioneer SX-3900 vs Sansui 8900ZDB

Newdugiu's picture

Hi there,

a question to all vintage stereo masters: I am going to buy a vintage receiver very soon. Ebay has a Pioneer SX-3900, Sansui G-9700, Sansui 9900z and Sansui 8900zdb. which one is the best? If is there any other you guys think would be better let me know.

thanks!!

Newdugiu

Re: PIONEER SX-3900 VS SANSUI 8900ZDB

Hello,
I too am not a fan of the G series. They like the other Sansui's you have listed started to be made with a lot of plastic, including the front panels and knobs.

The SX-3900 on the other hand, I grew to really like. These were the pioneer silver faced "floroscan" units, that had an analog radio dial, but also had a digital readout of the station.
They had gotten a bad rap probably because their power supplies would overhead, and dial indication and most functions would cease. They also had output transistor connections that could loosen up causing distortion. This was a problem with the 3800's as well as the 3900's. I wound up gathering a number of 3800's and (5) 3900's over the last few years, and was able to repair and provide some modifications to prevent the issues from coming back. I actually restored a number of my 3900's replacing many of the electrolitic caps that can affect the sound, did LED conversions for the lamps, and restored the regulator power supply boards with higher rated components. When done, those 3900's produce ~125W RMS per channel of really pure and clean sound, due to the Non Switching design of the amplifiers. And these were also still being built with the metal front panel and aluminum knobs and buttons. Really pretty, and great sounding units.
FYI,
I did a repair on a 3800, and have been using it as my bench unit for the last 3 years without any issues.

The SX-3900...I sell parts for this receiver but never bought the Sansui receivers for parts due to a lot of plastic, the volume controls that had the up and down buttons fail, there were a lot of issues with the digital displays and nothing beats a solid metal receiver...If you want Sansui get a G Series like the G-7000 or G-7500 for example...A better Pioneer would be the SX-xx50 Series like a SX-1050 or the 80 series like a SX-980...

Personally, I never liked the G series from Sansui, and the SX3900 is not one of my favorites. That would leave the other two.