hifi engine

Pioneer SX 850 receiver Dolby adapter jack

I am awaiting deliver of my new (vintage) Pioneer SX 850 receiver and have a couple of related questions. This receiver has a "Dolby Adapter" jack on the back and according to the owner's manual, the dolby adapter is required when listening to FM stations broadcast in Dolby sound.

Here are my questions:

1. What percentage of FM stations broadcast in Dolby?
2. Is this adapter really needed and if so, what difference is there in sound quality?
3. If I need this, does anyone know where I can get one and what cost I should expect?

Thanks to all who read this and can give me a hand.

Larry

karodimitrov's picture

Re: Pioneer SX 850 receiver Dolby adapter jack

Dolby FM: noise reduction system for FM broadcast radio. Dolby FM was tried by a few radio stations starting with WFMT in 1971. It used Dolby B, combined with 25 microsecond pre-emphasis. A small number of models of tuners and receivers were offered with the necessary decoder built in. In addition, a few cassette deck models appeared that allowed the deck's internal Dolby B decoder to be put in the line in to line out "pass-through" path, permitting its use with Dolby FM broadcasts. The system was not successful and was on the decline by 1974.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Laboratories

Thank you very much for this information. It helps a lot.

karodimitrov's picture

Good luck and Regards!
Krasimir

karodimitrov's picture

Now most radio stations use digital sound sources with high quality (CD, MP3)-min-198-256kb/s and the noise level is negligible. I think it makes no sense to put Dolby decoder. The noise level of the receiver is greater than that of the radio station. Nothing earn. If the station has a slight decrease noise-less treble of the receiver.