hifi engine

Pioneer VSX D2011 -Opitical audio input

Hi,

Hope someone can answer my question - I have a damaged Optical Input at the back of my Receiver - does anyone know how easy it is to replace or repair?

Thanks
Rish

Ellies Fashions's picture

Re: Pioneer VSX D2011 -Opitical audio input

Hi - Can U tell us more? Is the connector physically damaged or is it that it is not working properly?

On our Pioneer VSX-49TXI we had some damage we got around by using UV Glue to hold in the plug (you know that black light sensitive glue which sets with a black light. On the other hand we ran into an I/O problem we could not figure out. It turns out the optical code from our Pioneer was working but would not register when put into our highest end Sony Minidisc Deck. That problem was resolved with a optical coder adapter which translated Dolby optical code into an older just stereo signal the MiniDisc Recorder.

So, there are many different things to consider when such an input does not work...

Many thanks for responding so quickly - the problem is that I cannot insert the actual cable into the Optical socket it appears to be blocked and something is preventing the entry.

Ellies Fashions's picture

Well not seeing a pix of the problem I'm just guessing but options are a stuck spring door which was the case on some models (in that case I'd try a metal probe like a pick and see if you can move the obstruction like a stuck door to the side to accept the cable). Another is a broken off Toss Link Plug on some older models (I'd try to get a grip on the stub and pull it out). The only other possibility I can think of is a former owner had problems with the portal and purposely blocked it? BTW I would not hesitate to take off a messed up Toss Link Spring Door if they get messy it is no big deal.

In general the reasons these links don't work is they are shut off at some control point, they are receiving a good but incompatible signal as in my prior posting (AKA Dolby 7.1 to or from a device which cannot decode the optical signal), you have a bad cable or like things. In general they are pretty dependable.

If you can't get it to work without taking it to a tech then I'd opt for an analog to digital adapter box (much as my prior example of Dolby Optical signal conflict to/from another device). Realize when going this work around route you can encounter problems with the digital signal copyright functions. We tried to hook up another device analog to digital converter but kept running into the copyright feature and just decided to go analog in that situation.

Best of Luck!