hifi engine

preamp with Onkyo TX-2000?

I have a turntable that requires a preamp. Does my vintage Onkyo TX-2000 work well with an external preamp attached ahead of the phono input? Or is that doubling up on the preamp?

Re: preamp with Onkyo TX-2000?

The TX-2000 already has a phono input, there should be no need for an external preamp.

If you want to use a standalone phono preamplifier, it should be connected to line level inputs eg Aux/Tape/Tuner etc.

Thank you for your knowledgeable reply. I was getting conflicting info about phono input on my searches.
I do have a AudioSource EQ 200 equalizer that I'm using with the phonograph. Do I hook up the phonograph to that directly then to the phono input on the Onkyo TX-2000 or do I hook the phonograph to the phono input then to the equalizer and back to the receiver? In other words do components ever
hook up to the equalizer directly or through the receiver first?

The cartridge needs to go through a phono preamp section first to bring the signal up to line level and apply RIAA equalisation.

Equalizers usually have direct line level inputs, but these are largely there to replace the Tape loop you lose if you connect to an amp without a processor loop, and to allow recording of the equalised signal.

Thank you again for your expertise in attention to these questions.