hifi engine

Realistic SA-102

Puzzlewuzzle's picture

A comment is posted under the Realistic SA-102 amplifier data indicating this unit may be used as a pre-amp.
One post recommends connecting the speaker out to a power amp...a post on another site recommends connecting the tape out to a power amp.
Can someone offer some clarity about using the Realistic SA-102 as a preamp?
Can both a tuner and a turntable be connected to the SA-102 and then send the signal to a power amp?

Puzzlewuzzle's picture

Re: Realistic SA-102

I may have found an answer to my own question.

The Realistic S102 tape output is apparently equivalent to a "line output" at 180mV.

I planned to use the Realistic S102 as a preamp for an Onkyo M5100 with an input line sensitivity of 1V.
So I think this should work ok...

180mv is not line level; 775mv is.

Incorrect. 0.775 V (775 mV) is 0 dB into 600 ohms for many consumer devices. 180 mV at this reference is 16.68 dB below zero dB reference, but it is most definitely line level. Mic level is commonly around 2 mV, line level typically about 250 mV. Difference between 250 mV and 180 mV is only 2.85 dB.

Tape outputs are what is known as fixed outputs so they aren't affected by volume, balance or tone controls. You can relay the input from the SA-102 to another amplifier using the tape output, but you'll have no control of the volume.

EDIT analogcd beat me to it

Your proposed connection scheme will not work as expected. Tape Out jacks levels are not affected by Volume control. The signals are fixed line level. SA-102 would need to be modified, Tape Out jacks wires moved to ends of Balance pot, for the intended purpose of a preamp output function.