hifi engine

repairing HPM 100's

Another question...the Klipsch RF-600's can be bi-amped and I probably will not ever hook up 7 speakers(although I can with my sony str dn1030). What is the benefit to bi-amping? Clearer sound maybe? I have a JBL K120 from my keyboard amp to use as my center and I would like to find a used subwoofer.

repairing HPM 100's

Angelbill

If the puncture is only through the "paper" of the cone, you can easily patch it. As long as all of the paper material is still intact, you can glue the ripped edges from the back of the cone using a rubberized cement such as speaker cement, or even craft cement. If the puncture was more of a hole, I would cut a circle of heavy gauge paper a little larger than the hole. Glue (from the inside) all ripped edges. Apply a very thin layer of glue to the paper patch, and apply through the inside at the damaged area. If it is more of a slit, cut a piece of paper a little larger than the slit and glue the cone and patch as above. If the hole is very small, then you may just need to apply glue from the inside to seal. If a lot of the paper is missing from where the damage occurred, you best bet would be to get a piece of cone material and create a patch with that. (easily available on ebay as a cheap speaker you can take paper from, or a reasonably priced replacement cone)

Buy repairing from the inside, you keep the front of the cone from looking ugly.

If the damage is on the spider, you can get a new spider to cover the old one.

If the damage is more on the folds at the edge surround, it can be a bit trickier, requiring more specialized speaker glues such as damping compound

Hope this helps

repairing HPM 100's

Thanks. I just now got around to pull out the speaker and used some printer paper and rubber type cement to fix the"slit"...about an inch and a quarter in a couple directions. It went pretty good and feel it will take care of the problem. I didn't know if I would have to have new cone material or not. I will check out the sound this weekend. Thanks for your information.

repairing HPM 100's

Eb, I have the same speakers ,, you'll find NOS woofers .. ect .. for them .. good luck ,, there nice speakers , let me know if you want to upgrade & rebuild the crossovers , mine soud really great now after I did them .

repairing HPM 100's

I just fixed the woofer(not too hard) and would like to know what re-doing the crossovers would provide. I have never messed with the electronics but would not be afraid to try. Do I need special equipment to test the other components as to how they are performing or not performing? Thanks.

repairing HPM 100's

Thanks for your reply. I just received a new receiver from Amazon today...and waiting for a pair of new speakers to get here any day. It is pretty late tonight to try to communicate but I can get back with you possibly tomorrow. Thanks again.