hifi engine

Rotel RX-202 - Channel Output Issue

Thommo577's picture

Helo All! - I am new to this site, so please be patient with me. I used to have a wonderful stereo and lots of vinyl - I fell for the digital "retrolution" and now trying to replace my vinyl collection that I sold in a pinch for very little ( somebody got a great deal!)...
Anyway - I started with a Rotel RX-202 which I read good things about - Picked it up on EBay for only $60 shipped. It was working fine through headphones using the tuner to listed to FM radio and then when I got apair of speakers, I only got one channel - I tried both the A & B inputs and I made sure the wires were all connected, switched the speakers, etc. I tried the headphones again and... only one channel.
I also tried to connect an old MCS-6500 belt drive turntable (without a ground wire!) and get a very loud hum when connected, drowning out the music significantly. Sheesh, so many issues trying to get back into analog on a budget. This is my 2nd try and a reasonably priced ($100 bucks) turntable so I can play the 50 or so LP's I have recently acquired....
The question is - Is it a capacitor or a transistor or is it just a loose wire?
How can I tell? should I open it up or try to find an expert?
Can someone here provide some advice or walk me through a troubleshoot and fix?
Is the turntable bad? It squeeks and chirps too, probably the belt.
I am not an expert and lothe to open the unit unless I am sure what to do...
Do I ask too many questions for a guy from Jersey? ;-)
Thanks for reading this and I would be most appreciative of any assistance!

Thommo

Re: Rotel RX-202 - Channel Output Issue

There are two fuses for speaker protection; you may have to take the case off to see them (they could be on the bottom).

Thommo577's picture

Re: Rotel RX-202 - Channel Output Issue

There are two fuses on the back of the unit under a plastic case held by one small phillips screw.
I checked them and they look fine. I have a feeling there is an issue inside the unit and as I stated, I don't really want to do this unless someone knowledgeable could walk me through.
Thanks!

Thommo