hifi engine

Sansui 551 problem

Hi, i have a problem with my sansui 551 receiver, it was given to me but when i tried it, there was nothing working, meaning that i plugged it in, switched it on but doesn't power up period, nothing is burnt in it, its in mint condition, if anyone could find a solution to this problem, id be gladly appreciated.

Sansui 551 problem

Do you have a multimeter? Are you knowledgeable enough to be safe using it to work around 120Vac live circuits?

If not, with the fuses and voltage adjuster checked, your next step is to find someone experienced to work on it.

Sansui 551 problem

That receiver is made for multiple line voltages and uses a plug on the back to select the proper voltage; if this plug is missing the receiver will not work. There are also about 4 fuses that can be open (mostly inside the set).
You could have an open primary of the transformer.

Sansui 551 problem

i do have this particular plug for it on the back, the fuses are ok, i have tested them

Sansui 551 problem

Could be a bad power switch, bad AC cord, open transformer primary, or bad connection on PC board where AC connects.
The plug on the back that is used for changing line voltages could also be bad, but I can't remember seeing a bad one unless it was damaged. You might check the connections on this plug.

Sansui 551 problem

Old units commonly had issues with power cord wires breaking inside the insulation near where it connected to the back of the unit, or at the back of the plug. I would test the line cord, or just replace it.
Likewise the power switch can be easily jumped out to see if that is the issue as well. A simple jumper wire with alligator clips will work fine to these this.
Tom

Sansui 551 problem

i did manage to replace the plug, and what you said about the power switch, do you mean i should pretty much just bypass it or did i read wrong?

Sansui 551 problem

You can jumper the power switch, with care. Make certain you do not connect the AC line to the metal chassis. If possible, solder a piece of wire across the switch as a test to see if it is defective. If you are not comfortable with electrical testing it may be advisable to take this receiver to a tech.