hifi engine

Sansui 881 hum

My 881 has a low volume, continuous hum. I have read that replacing the large power capacitors will fix the problem. I know they are 150 volt, 10,000uf, screw terminal type. Could someone tell me where to order them from, and give me a part # that will ensure a proper fit, when I install them. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, John

karodimitrov's picture

Re: Sansui 881 hum

Did you try it at open sourse-without signal . Is there hum again?Is there around the receiver sources that can be reason for hum-like TV or another HI-FI equipment?Sometimes bad bias adjusting can be reason of hum.Check this before replace the caps.

You can see on this site, stcok of Sansui part
http://www.sansui-parts-shop.com/index.php?page=main
It's not 150 Volt but 50 Volt capacitor . C703 et C704 in the service manual Sansui part 0559360.
Also you can see on www.farnell.com
Bst rgds
yvan

It could be the main filter capacitors, or others in the pre-amp or tone control amplifier, or a combination. Could also be poor ground connections or bad shielding.

Johnnysan:
I would like to replace the main filter capacitors. Could you tell me where to order those at and the correct part number, to get as close of a fit as possible. Thank you for answering my request.

You can waste your money by replacing these just to find out that the hum is still there ..

I would try the manufacturer first. If they don't have the parts, Mouser may have something that would work; they give dimensions of the capacitors.