hifi engine

slow to turn on Kenwood KR5400

Working with a Kenwood kr5400 receiver that is not turning on when power switch is turned on. Will delay turning on as much as 8 to 9 minutes(when cold and off overnight), and 8 seconds to 60 seconds when warm from playing. Any ideas will be appreciated. Works fine otherwise. Thanks GC

Re: slow to turn on Kenwood KR5400

Depends on what you mean by "turning on".
If you mean no lights coming on and no audio through the speakers, then I would suspect a bad power switch.
If you mean there are lights, meter is working and the radio appears to function but no audio through the speakers or headphones then I would suspect the protection relay, a bias problem in the amplifier circuit or a bad component in the power amplifier circuit. You could also have problems with dirty tape monitor switches.

Johnysan Thanks for your response. Yeah the lights and tuning level meters are all working prior to going on. Also the tape monitor switches are all working cleanly. This is before the thing fires up. Temperature seems to have an effect on the problem. The unit has a solenoid switch that activates when unit decides to turn on. I was wondering if the problem could be in the solenoid (possibly dirty)? Not sure how to remove clear plastic cover on solenoid switch, to try to clean it. Or could the problem be a delay in current reaching the solenoid. Any more thoughts? GC

You are referring to the protection relay. It is normally open and disconnects the speakers from the amplifier; it's function is to stop DC from getting to the speakers in case there is a failure in the amplifier. The bias setting for the amp may be off because of changing components values (from normal aging), or there could be a problem with the amp. You may need a tech to service your amp and make the proper adjustments.

Johnnysan Thanks for your interest and response. GC