hifi engine

Sony HP-170 repairs

I just picked up an old Sony HP-170 and am trying to find a repair manual to help with some repairs to the reject mechanism. Basically I need to take the center spindle out and remove the platter to get to the parts underneath but I can't figure out how it comes out. It looks like there could be a lock ring on it but I don't want to force it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike

Re: Sony HP-170 repairs

Thanks for the help. Got it all apart. Now I just need to clean it all up and get it working.

The manual shows as follows: Record changer removal: 1, remove the 4 screws then lift it at the rear edge, they are removing the changer still mounted to what they call the motor board, then disconnect the phono plugs and power plug from the bottom of the turntable, usually, the changer will have 2 screws with a clip mechanism on the bottom of each screw, just put that clip in line with the screw and the changer will pull straight up, it doesn't mention a belt and in the picture looks like a garrad or bsr turntable, I have a HP318 Sony in the basement, it has an 8 track player/recorder that looks to be in good shape, post how you make out with yours the platter is held in place by a ring or clip, gently remove the clip or work the ring out of the grove that keeps it in place

Is it belt drive? On many of those belt drive TTs you need to remove the mat, lift the platter with one hand and tap the spindle--the platter will come loose. Use a screwdriver handle or knife handle.