hifi engine

sony reel to reel tc756

Help! I am new to hifi and hope I am in the right place. Recently purchased a Sony tc756. The unit had been in storage a long time. The solenoid mechanism, to bring the tape to the head was frozen. That is fixed. The machine tracks perfectly playing tracks 1 and three for probably, five minutes then suddenly it starts picking up tracks 2 and four playing backwards mixed in with tracks 1 and 3. I don't see the
tape moving up or down on the head. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great day! John

Re: sony reel to reel tc756

OK, my mistake. I thought it was a reversing deck, forget about my relay comment.
BUT!! Is the a 756-2? or a 756? If it is a 756-2, you do not have a problem.
I am thinking you are playing a 1/4 track stereo tape on a 1/2 track stereo machine.
Let me know.
Frank

Dear Frank:
Bingo! The 256-2 is a two track. Didn't notice that when I was cleaning the heads. I won't put you through the doldrums of everything I tried to remedy the problem. Thank goodness I didn't get too radical before I turned to hifi. I would like to thank you, and all others who took the time to help and old sailor out. God Bless and haved a good day.

Where did the tape come from that you are using to test the deck ?
Did you try more than one tape?
If possible, buy a factory recorded ( album ((vinyl) or similar) on R2R tape from an eBay seller.
This will now be a tape recorded at a studio standard on a unit with perfectly aligned heads.
It is possible that the tape you are using was screwed up during the recording process.
I will check the schematic, but if this deck uses a relay to switch heads, the relay contacts may be the issue. I have seen this problem on Akai and Teac.
Frank

karodimitrov's picture

I think this is mechanical problem.Clean perfectly the whole tape mechanism and especially two pinch rollers (if necessary-replace them).lubricate the mechanism well and adjust it by service manual:
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-756.shtml
Make a new sample recording on both sides of the tape and playback it.Everything must be OK.
This is at first reading:)))
Hope understand my English!