hifi engine

Sony STR-6050 FM sound problem

I've had this tuner-amp since 1969 and has worked wonderfully. Today my FM sound instantly went from 'normal' volume to where I had to jack the volume up to max. Any ideas? Can it be fixed? Is it worth fixing? If not any suggestions as to a decent tuner-amp of equal to better quality? Thank you.

fatagnus's picture

You may also try cleaning the tuning capacitor itself - carefully. Spray or place a few drops of DeOxit on each of the three to four bearings that hold the shaft. Rotate well and do it again. Follow up with a quick burst of canned air.

when the FM signal volume drops, does it get a lot of static noise?

You may have a problem in the multiplex circuit, or in the power supply for that circuit.
Is audio OK in all other modes?

Yes.

Phonograph, CD player and AM radio have fine sound.
The FM signal can go from very low volume to suddenly get loud/'normal' (when I've turned up the volume to hear the low volume FM signal).

You might try cleaning the function switch (AM, FM, Aux).

How difficult is that? I down loaded a service manual but it seemed close to useless which would suggest that disassembly and cleaning must be a no brainer. Is cleaning really that simple?

You need to get a spray cleaner that is made for controls; I use Deoxit D5. Just spray a little on the switch contact areas, move the switch a few times, then let it sit for a while. If controls are a little noisy you can do the same for them.
Note: some controls and switches are difficult to get to; there may be boards or other components in the way. There are several types of controls; some easier to work with than others. Usually you can spray cleaner into them from the terminal side (they have 3 terminals); sometimes they have a small hole on the side or an indent in the metal body where cleaner can be sprayed.
Do not use too much; a little goes a long way.
This may or may not solve your tuner problem.