hifi engine

SX-780 bought on ebay as "tested" - very low volume output

I just received a pioneer SX-780 from a seller on ebay. Seller said everything works but it does not. I did not pay a lot and don't want to bother with shipping it back if the problem can be fixed easily. I just downloaded the service manual and I am ready to work on it. Here are the symptoms: Both VU meter bulbs are out - and meters do not move. the sound is extremely low but audible through headphones or speakers. All inputs - tuner, phono or aux. I can hear the relay clicking in after a few seconds of powering up.

I am new to forum - hoping for some guidance on where to start. I really love the look and sound of the Pioneer Silver Series and hope to learn more about them. My first lesson: don't buy on ebay.

karodimitrov's picture

Re: SX-780 bought on ebay as "tested" - very low volume output

Hi.When I started to repair something begin on two things.First-check the fuses,and second-power supply and volages оn all points of diagram.Where there is a discrepancy-around there is the problem.

AVM Sir Rodney Pentode's picture

Possible..... but unlikely as both seem to have failed together. would like further infomation!

karodimitrov's picture

And possible both STK are gone...