hifi engine

Tape clutter inside the cassette after rewind - Nakamichi 1000 II

Hi,
I am have a very annoying problem with my Nakamichi 1000 II. After rewinding and then when I attempt to playback, too much tape is accumulated inside the cassette resulting in tape getting mingled and damaged. It only occurs in the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the tape. Fast forward and playback is normal. Any help will be much appreciated.
Regards tapeman01

Re: Tape clutter inside the cassette after rewind - ...

If heads are on top of cassette well, cassette must be placed like usually is in " boomboxes" and take up reel and suply reel are reversed.

Too much take up torque is enough to cause tape sneaking in capstan and getting wrinkled.

Hi,

From the symptoms, you need to check the ball drive assembly (see section 5.1.4 in Service Manual). There is insufficient torque or intermittent torque due to the clutches slipping.

Also the belts should be replaced if you haven't done so already.

Look inside the cassette housing and see what you need to do to "trick" the deck into thinking there is an actual cassette in place. Then use your fingers to grip the right take up reel. You should feel a constant fairly strong force causing the reel to turn. You will need to do this several times because the auto-shutoff mechanism will kick in and stop the transport.

-bob

Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. But in the case of a Nakamichi 1000 II, it must be the LEFT take up reel that should have a constant fairly strong force, because the heads are on top and the tape is travelling from right to left. I have just tested the deck, and there is a very strong force turning the left take op reel. Moreover, a couple of months ago the deck has been restored with new belts etc.

What puzzles me is that when I place the deck horizontally, all the problems are gone.

Regards tapeman01

Hi,

In a non auto-reverse deck, the left reel is the tension reel and the right reel is the take-up reel. During play, the capstan and pinch roller are what move the tape past the heads. The left reel supplies tension to keep the tape taut and in contact with the heads. The purpose of the right reel is to spool the tape that is fed by the capstan and pinch roller. The capstan is what regulates the tape speed.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your description of the problem?

-bob