hifi engine

Teac A 3440 speed problem

YES - I just had to have one of these 3440 machines. Paid a price for it. But I can't seem to get it to play the right speed. It's always fast or if I change the prefertence it's too slow. Weather I use the small or large reels and adjust the buttons accordingly - the pitch control just dosn't go slow enough. Any thoughts on that? I do notice the pinch rollor is a bit gummy. How is that cleaned?

Basic questions probably for you guys. It would be great if someone answered this. I love this thing!

Thanks - Glenn

Another way to view the first suggestion is, make sure when you press play that the pinch rollers lift instantly and when you hit stop that they drop right down. If they don't move freely up and down, then the shaft they pivot on will need to be cleaned and relubed.

Make sure that the pinch-roller is very tight (about 4-6 lbs of pull) against the capstan shaft. If not, the tape will slip and will go faster than normal. TEACs were famous for this problem; and the only cure is to completely dis-assemble the transport and clean & lubricate the shaft. I've seen some of them come in the shop where the shaft has to be heated up with a mini-torch to get the pinch-roller arm off. The other possibility is that the belt is on the 50HZ pulley, instead of the 60HZ. And, if the pinch-roller is soft, then it must be replaced or rebuilt.

Pete

Thanks for getting back. It is greatly appreciated.

OK - I opened it up and cleaned the gum. The pinch roller is free. Eveything is cleaned and oiled as in service guide. (1 drop here and 2 drops there). The belt looked OK I think but can't see the top of it to know it there is another pully for 60HZ?. The service guide also showed a gauge to look at for HZ but mine dosn't have it.

After putting it back togeither I notice the Capstan continues to turn all the time. The only way to stop it is to turn off the power. And the player is still fast?

What to do?

HI
WHEN YOU POWER UP YOUR CAPSTAN MOTOR WILL ALWAYS TURN AS LONG AS YOU HAVE TENSION WITH YOUR TAPE ON THE PICK UP REEL.I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH TAPE SPEED CHANGED BELT STILL RUNNING FAST I BOUGHT IN ON EBAY I THINKING OF SENDING IT BACK I THINK IT MAY BE THE CAPSTAN MOTOR IT SELF
GOOD LUCK TO US ALL..............

On the left side (supply side) of your deck, there are two pots for speed adjustment. The proper way to adjust the speed (both high and low) is to use a calibrated tape such as one from MRL, but if not just try and adjust the speeds the best you can using those pots. If they're out of adjustment, your tape speeds could be way off.
Also, this may be obvious, but make sure that the pitch control is not in the "ON" position, because this can drive the speed up to as much as +450hz.

Pete