hifi engine

Teac a 4300 dummy plug

Apparently Teac designed a Deadman switch on their lower end mid grade reel to reel. Without this dummy plug my Teac doesn't work. Does anybody have a dummy plug for a TEAC a 4300?? Please let me know. Thanks for your time

Re: Teac a 4300 dummy plug

If you can't find the plug, and you don't have the remote control or the timer control, you can short pin 8 to pin 9, and pin 1 to pin 11, to make your R-R function. You might want to have a tech do this for you.

Johnnysan, thanks for the piece of advice. Unfortunately I found the dummy plug and it didn't solve the problem. So my next guess is the pinch roller solenoid. Does that sound like something that it might be?? Let me know. Thanks a lot for your time.

Solenoids rarely go bad; if it is not actuating the problem is most likely the drive circuit that delivers power to it or the front panel switching circuit. There may be a bad micro switch. Also, you should check to see if the pinch roller assembly moves freely; you should be able to lift it by hand.

The pinch roller itself does not move freely, it feels as if there is something pushing against it or moderately holding it in place. With a moderate push I can engage the pinch roller to the capstan and then away we go. I also have a secondary issue, once I engaged the controller the tape counter will not do its job. Let me ask the obvious question, do I have a 42 pound paperweight??

The pinch roller itself does not move freely, it feels as if there is something pushing against it or moderately holding it in place. With a moderate push I can engage the pinch roller to the capstan and then away we go. I also have a secondary issue, once I engaged the controller the tape counter will not do its job. Let me ask the obvious question, do I have a 42 pound paperweight??

At this point in time, you have an interesting conversation piece that takes up a lot of room.

With these old R-R decks it is always necessary to take care of lubrication problems first. If the mechanisms don't move the electronics can't do their job.

the pinch roller problem is very common and an easy fix. don't try to run the deck any more until you fix that..or you can burn out the solenoid...the root cause of the pinch roller being stuck is the old grease hardens up.. the reel counter uses a belt which has likely turned to goo...just like the capstan belt...replace both, fix the pinch roller grease and most of these old workhorses will work...there is an elderly teac expert on ebay that sells instructions on how to do the maintenance and has the reel counter belt for nominal fee...better imho to get the actual teac-made belt for the capstan belt which is more precisely fit... spend these few bucks and your time if after you educate yourself...and feel comfortable inside mechanical stuff...after that and there are electronics problems you have a paperweight...but most of the time you can make these tank-built babies work....

Thank you for the instructions. As far as the solenoid goes, when I push the start button the solenoid makes no noise and I don't think it's trying to engage therefore I think it's a dead issue. Would appreciate guidance if this is correct. Thanks for your time.

HANK

it can't engage since the pinch roller mechanism is stuck...it will only make a simple click if it is free to operate the mechanism.. til you free the mechanism you can't tell if it's messed up or not...but as pp said these rarely fail..lots of bad techs sold needless expensive solenoids

eddisc's picture

I bought one (A4300) a few yrs back w/same issue. I had exp & KNEW the solution; hair dryer for ~3-5 minutes and it remains free to this day. Just this a.m. I freed up a buddy's A6010 the same way. He also needs other - but let me NOT digress. I can supply exactly where I applied heat when I return home later tonight. NOW my X2000 needs cleaning & relube...

I've never seen just heat fix a lubrication problem; it may get the mechanism moving, but replacing the lubricant is essential. BTW, I've been a tech for 42 years.

eddisc's picture

ok... YOU haven't seen it done. Ergo, it cannot possibly happen??
There's a very old expression (more than 42 yrs I'm sure) "Ya learn something new every day!"
But - only if one has an open & receptive mind.

eddisc's picture

Remove head cover - mine has 2 tiny screws on the top; unscrew cap on P/R - DON'T LOOSE TINY BLACK WASHERS/SPACERS - on BOTH sides of the P/R; unscrew cover on capstan. Apply SLOW GENTLE heat for 3~5 minutes. Let us know what transpires!

eddisc & teaclover thanks for your time you helpful household hints. Ed, what is P/R???

Be sure to tell how well the 'hair dryer trick' works.

plus as u take it apart make an exact diagram...the washers are slightly but importantly different on the old teac reverse decks..

Does that mean I need to take the recording on all the rest of the heads off?? Aren't there a lot of springs there, and what they need to be retentioned?? I don't have the spring test kit that was original equipment with this Teac. If that's the case am I going to need to take this thing apart from the rear, Oh am I so looking forward to this!! Once again thanks for all your help guys

eddisc's picture

no!!!! do not touch the heads, their mounting hardware or anything else!!! Just the black cover!!!! 2 (two) small screws!! Removing this cover gives access to small cover over the capstan.

Thank you. Just wanted to know before I went and did something stupid! I'll post if I need more help thank you for all of your time.

Hank

eddisc's picture

any progress??

No. I've decided to reach out to the idiot who are barred from. He claims it was in perfect condition and it's actually not. After doing lots of homework on this guy that sold me the Teac, it turns out he's a retired cop with a six-figure retirement and a Tesla. So it looks like I've got to tread lightly with this idiot.

So, did you try the hair dryer for 5 minutes, like was suggested? I would like to know the results.

Did you read my previous post?? I'm going to see if this cop is just going to buy it back. If he doesn't I'll let you know. I'll keep you posted. I really appreciate all the help and everybody's offered so far. Thanks

play/record..

eddisc's picture

in THIS context - NO. We are talking about the PINCH ROLLER.

ok you are right in this case. later teacs have 2 pinch rollers and they are differently shimmed...