hifi engine

Vintage Panasonic RS-806US 8 Track Player/Recorder

Hello. New to the forums. Does anyone have experience with above said unit? I recently picked one up at a thrift store. The question is about what the Continuous button is suppose to do? Does that mean it repeats whatever number it is on or is it suppose to cycle through the 1, 2, 3, and 4 by itself? Right now I have to manually push the buttons to change the numbers. Thanks in advance.

Re: Vintage Panasonic RS-806US 8 Track Player/Recorder

8-track cartridge machines typically provide three playback modes: single track, all tracks, continuous. The latter does not trip the eject system. For single and all tracks the cam switch is in circuit to tell the eject system when to activate. Track selection uses two switches in parallel: front panel "Program" (sometimes called "Selection") and the internal contacts --- in the tape path --- across which the metal foil passes. When metal foil makes connection, it is electrically equivalent to pressing the front-panel Program switch. If the machine is switching tracks correctly, but does not eject at end of fourth program, the cam switch may be dirty or damaged. Inspect the metal foil on cartridges being used as most are very worn and dirty with over 30 years passing since the format went out of production.

It must swich automatically to the next track every time tracks 1,2, and 3 ends. If you have "continuous" mode engagged, it must to do the same at the end of track 4, switching to track 1; if not, it will stops and eject tape.

Thanks for the quick response BB. Thank you for the info. The Panaject does work so I am guessing part of the switch is bad or dirty. Or something in the signal path coming to/from the Continuous has gone bad in the circuit maybe a cold solder joint?

Most probably is a dirty sensing switch. Use contact cleaner, Deoxit or similar and some cloth to get shiny contacts in it.(be careful, don't bend anything). Check his wires too.

Track switching mechanism must be OK if you can change tracks manually; and the signal path is not related to the problem.

If you don't have done it yet, download the service manual from the library in here and take a look; it is the best way to understand how the thing works.

Take it easy and enjoy; 8-tracks are really funny, but they are old too and need some help quite often.

Thanks BB. I studied sound engineering years ago. I know how to work the machines, but don't know what makes them tick. Lol. I will give that a try. That is the only thing I found wrong with it, so I hope I can get it up to full speed. I did look at the service manual when I first logged on here. That is how I actually found this site...doing a google search on a service manual for the unit. I saw the schematics sheet, but it is all Greek to me(except for the ground icon). I am sure I could learn it though. Thank you so much for your input. Highly appreciated.