hifi engine

Manual Library / Roberts Electronics

Roberts Electronics 997

Four Track Stereo Tape Recorder

add a review add a review

Roberts Electronics 997


The Roberts 997 has all of the features of the 990 including four/two track stereo and monaural playback.

In addition it provides sound on sound recording, a stereo output speaker control panel with six stereo output jacks.


Track system: 4-track, 2-channel, stereo/monaural system

Heads: 1 x playback/record, 1 x erase

Reel size: 3, 5 or 7 inch reel

Equalization: NAB

Tape speeds: 3 34  7 12  15 ips

Wow and flutter: 0.12% (7 12 ips)

Frequency response: 40Hz to 15kHz (7 12 ips)

Signal to Noise Ratio: 50dB

Valve complement: 6AR5, 6BQ5, 6X4, 12AD7, 6267



re: 997 fuse location

Anybody out the know what amp fuse the Roberts 997 needs and its location in the machine?

re: 997 fuse location

the fuse is behind the reels front plate in the right corner ( 2amps)

re: 997 fuse location

Yes, you need to remove the front perforated panel surrounding the reel platters. The fuse is in the upper right hand corner on the internal chassis. It is a 2-Amp 3AG cartridge fuse. First, you may wish to determine why the fuse blew in the first place...

re: 997 fuse location

To add to bobtek's reply:
If replacing the fuse without first troubleshooting the cause of fuse failure, additional damage can result, and likely expensive or non-replaceable parts can be destroyed.
And since this unit is 50 years old, parts are certainly not easily obtained "off the shelf" as when it was new.
The clue here is that the fuse is not "user replaceable", being buried inside the unit.
The reason for making it difficult is to suggest that professional technicians provide the service.

re: 997 fuse location

Not yet. I just acquired one of these and am just now learning how to use it/how it works. If I find it, I'll post back here.

This website is not affiliated with or sponsored by Roberts Electronics. To purchase 997 spares or accessories, please contact the company via their website or visit an authorised retailer.